Reading Adventure Packs for Families
Reading Rockets has developed a set of reading adventure packs to encourage hands-on fun and learning centered around paired fiction and nonfiction books.
Parents who read to their children everyday and talk about what they are reading together promote a joy of reading and literacy achievement. How can teachers encourage reading at home and support the role of parents as educators?
One way is through the use of our reading adventure packs — a paired set of theme-based fiction and nonfiction books and related interactive activities that kids bring home from school to share with their family. Just assemble everything into a two-gallon zip top bag, and they're ready to go!
"[These packs] are a great idea from Reading Rockets. I love the fact that there are clear, accessible, and easy-to-understand suggestions for parents in each PDF. The activities would be fun and educational to link to any book that suits the themes, not just the ones suggested."
— The Book Chook
What goes into each reading adventure pack?
- Parent information sheet with an introductory note that you can personalize, instructions about how to use the packet, and tips for sharing fiction and nonfiction books with children
- Two books: one fiction and one nonfiction, selected by Reading Rockets for high quality and wide availability in school libraries
- Creativity Activity: a hands-on craft project
- Imagination Activity: encourages imaginative play, writing, or drawing
- Get Real Activity: focuses on real-world experiences for parent and child
- Bookmark: lists the featured titles and alternative titles
Themed reading adventure packs
If you use the reading adventure packs in your classroom, we'd love to get feedback on how well they worked, new theme ideas, or ways to improve the packs. Contact us and select "Reading adventure packs" from the subject field. Thank you!
To learn more, please read our article about reading adventure packs.
* Si tiene alugunas preguntas o comentarios, contáctenos y seleccione "Cometarios sobre el paquete de actividades familiares."