Explore the ocean!
The featured books are Flotsam by David Wiesner and The Magic School Bus on the Ocean Floor by Joanna Cole, illustrated by Bruce Degen. Flotsam, the beautifully illustrated wordless picture book that won the 2007 Caldecott Medal, reveals the secrets held in a wave-battered underwater camera found on the beach by a young boy. After the boy has the camera’s film developed, the reader views photographs of a curious world under the sea. In The Magic School Bus on the Ocean Floor, readers also get an unusual look at what’s beneath the ocean’s waves as Ms. Frizzle and her students take an exciting field trip to explore the animal and plant life of the ocean, tides, waves, and ocean topography.
Get the books
The featured books were chosen for their quality and availability in most school and public libraries. For other book suggestions, check out the bookmark in the PDF.
What’s in the reading adventure pack?
- Parent information sheet with an introductory note that teachers can personalize, instructions about how to use the packet, and tips for sharing fiction and nonfiction books with children
- Two books: one fiction and one nonfiction, selected by Reading Rockets for high quality and wide availability in school libraries
- Creativity Activity: a hands-on craft project
- Imagination Activity: encourages imaginative play, writing, or drawing
- Get Real Activity: focuses on real-world experiences for parent and child
- Bookmark: lists the featured titles and alternative titles
- Parent survey
While designed as a school-to-home project, reading adventure packs are also great for summer programs, after-school programs, and home-schoolers.