When packing for this reading adventure all about birds, we suggest you include Aviary Wonders Inc. Spring Catalog and Instruction Manual: Renewing the World’s Bird Supply Since 2031 by Kate Samworth and Crinkleroot’s Guide to Knowing the Birds by Jim Arnosky. In Aviary Wonders, people who want to have experiences with birds are offered the opportunity to order parts to build their own — now necessary since nearly all birds have become extinct. Crinkleroot’s Guide to Knowing the Birds features the warm and folksy nature guide Crinkleroot who introduces kids to birds and the pleasures of watching them.
Get the books
The featured books were chosen for their quality and availability in most school and public libraries. For other book suggestions, check out the bookmark in the PDF.
What’s in the reading adventure pack?
- Parent information sheet with an introductory note that teachers can personalize, instructions about how to use the packet, and tips for sharing fiction and nonfiction books with children
- Two books: one fiction and one nonfiction, selected by Reading Rockets for high quality and wide availability in school libraries
- Creativity Activity: a hands-on craft project
- Imagination Activity: encourages imaginative play, writing, or drawing
- Get Real Activity: focuses on real-world experiences for parent and child
- Bookmark: lists the featured titles and alternative titles
- Parent survey
While designed as a school-to-home project, the Reading Rockets reading adventure packs are also great for summer programs, after-school programs, and home-schoolers.