Explore the government!
When packing for this reading adventure about our government we suggest you include Madame President by Lane Smith and How the U.S. Government Works by Syl Sobel. In Madame President a little girl does what all kids do at some point — imagines that she is the President of the United States — and cleverly introduces readers to the duties of the President. How the U.S. Government Works introduces the powers and responsibilities of all the branches of government and covers the basics of our federal system.
What’s in the reading adventure pack?
- Parent information sheet with an introductory note that teachers can personalize, instructions about how to use the packet, and tips for sharing fiction and nonfiction books with children
- Two books: one fiction and one nonfiction, selected by Reading Rockets for high quality and wide availability in school libraries
- Creativity Activity: a hands-on craft project
- Imagination Activity: encourages imaginative play, writing, or drawing
- Get Real Activity: focuses on real-world experiences for parent and child
- Bookmark: lists the featured titles and alternative titles
- Parent survey
While designed as a school-to-home project, the Reading Rockets reading adventure packs are also great for summer programs, after-school programs, and home-schoolers.