When packing for this reading adventure all about archaeology, we suggest you include Archaeologists Dig for Clues by Kate Duke and The Shipwrecked Sailor: An Egyptian Tale with Hieroglyphics by Tamara Bower. In Archaeologists Dig for Clues, young readers learn how archaeologists set up a dig site, what tools they use, and how they record their findings. The Shipwrecked Sailor is based on a real papyrus scroll of hieroglyphics that tells a tale of a voyage on the Red Sea to an enchanted land. Parts of the story are translated into hieroglyphics — pictures of people, animals, and everyday objects.
Get the books
The featured books were chosen for their quality and availability in most school and public libraries. For other book suggestions, check out the bookmark in the PDF.
What’s in the reading adventure pack?
- Parent information sheet with an introductory note that teachers can personalize, instructions about how to use the packet, and tips for sharing fiction and nonfiction books with children
- Two books: one fiction and one nonfiction, selected by Reading Rockets for high quality and wide availability in school libraries
- Creativity Activity: a hands-on craft project
- Imagination Activity: encourages imaginative play, writing, or drawing
- Get Real Activity: focuses on real-world experiences for parent and child
- Bookmark: lists the featured titles and alternative titles
- Parent survey
While designed as a school-to-home project, the Reading Rockets reading adventure packs are also great for summer programs, after-school programs, and home-schoolers.