Explore the stars!
The featured books are Her Seven Brothers by Paul Goble and Find the Constellations by H.A. Rey. Her Seven Brothers is a retelling of the Cheyenne legend about the creation of the Big Dipper. A young Indian girl who has a special gift for embroidery learns from the spirits that she must leave her home and search for a new one with seven brothers. Seven brothers welcome her, and her gift of beautiful clothes, but the Chief of the Buffalo Nation also wants a new sister. The girl and her seven brothers make a dramatic escape to the sky. In Find the Constellations, H.A. Rey, presents the stars and constellations in a straightforward and easy-to-understand format. There are also detailed sky views and simple illustrations that help readers turn stargazing into a wonderful game.
What’s in the reading adventure pack?
- Parent information sheet with an introductory note that teachers can personalize, instructions about how to use the packet, and tips for sharing fiction and nonfiction books with children
- Two books: one fiction and one nonfiction, selected by Reading Rockets for high quality and wide availability in school libraries
- Creativity Activity: a hands-on craft project
- Imagination Activity: encourages imaginative play, writing, or drawing
- Get Real Activity: focuses on real-world experiences for parent and child
- Bookmark: lists the featured titles and alternative titles
- Parent survey
While designed as a school-to-home project, our reading adventure packs are also great for summer programs, after-school programs, and home-schoolers.