The featured books for the The Snowy Day Adventure Pack are The Snowy Day, written and illustrated by Ezra Jack Keats, and Snow Is Falling, written by Franklyn Branley and illustrated by Holly Keller. The Snowy Day, winner of the 1963 Caldecott Medal, tells the story of a young boy who wakes up to discover that a beautiful blanket of snow has fallen during the night. Snow Is Falling explores how snow can help plants, animals, and people to survive a harsh winter and thrive in the spring.
Get the books
The featured books were chosen for their quality and availability in most school and public libraries. For other book suggestions, check out the bookmark in the PDF.
What’s in the reading adventure pack?
- Parent information sheet with an introductory note that teachers can personalize, instructions about how to use the packet, and tips for sharing fiction and nonfiction books with children
- Two books: one fiction and one nonfiction, selected by Reading Rockets for high quality and wide availability in school libraries
- Creativity Activity: a hands-on craft project
- Imagination Activity: encourages imaginative play, writing, or drawing
- Get Real Activity: focuses on real-world experiences for parent and child
- Bookmark: lists the featured titles and alternative titles
- Parent survey
While designed as a school-to-home project, the Reading Rockets adventure packs are also great for summer programs, after-school programs, and home-schoolers.