What every teacher should know
Reading 101: A Guide to Teaching Reading and Writing
For a next step in enhancing your fluency instruction, see the tips on measuring a student's fluency score and watch our Launching Young Readers show, Fluent Reading.
Develop an instructional plan
Choose one student to take a fluency score.
- Sit and listen to the student read a passage from a book that is at their independent level.
- Take note of words read correctly and incorrectly.
- Find the words read per minute by taking the words read correctly (minus) the words read incorrectly.
- Determine what instruction should look like for this student.
- Write up your plan for this student’s growth in the area of fluency.
Watch the third program in our five-part Launching Young Readers series, Fluent Reading. The 30-minute show explores how to help children learn to decode quickly and achieve fluency. The program also demonstrates how early testing and intervention can help struggling readers.