Reading Adventure Pack: Government
Go on a reading adventure to learn all about our government! Teachers can support reading together at home with our reading adventure packs — designed to encourage hands-on fun and learning centered around paired fiction and nonfiction books. (Level: Second or Third Grade)
Explore the government!
When packing for this reading adventure about our government we suggest you include Madame President by Lane Smith and How the U.S. Government Works by Syl Sobel. In Madame President a little girl does what all kids do at some point — imagines that she is the President of the United States — and cleverly introduces readers to the duties of the President. How the U.S. Government Works introduces the powers and responsibilities of all the branches of government and covers the basics of our federal system.
Get the books
The featured books were chosen for their quality and availability in most school and public libraries. However, if you would like to purchase the books, here are the links:
Reading Rockets carefully chose these titles because they are widely available in libraries and appealing to young readers. If they are not available, or you prefer other titles, substitute books related to the theme. You'll find more books about our government on the bookmark included in the pack and at WorldCat.
Madame President by Lane Smith
How the U.S. Government Works by Syl Sobel
What's in the reading adventure pack?
- Parent information sheet with an introductory note that teachers can personalize, instructions about how to use the packet, and tips for sharing fiction and nonfiction books with children
- Two books: one fiction and one nonfiction, selected by Reading Rockets for high quality and wide availability in school libraries
- Creativity Activity: a hands-on craft project
- Imagination Activity: encourages imaginative play, writing, or drawing
- Get Real Activity: focuses on real-world experiences for parent and child
- Bookmark: lists the featured titles and alternative titles
- Parent survey
While designed as a school-to-home project, the Reading Rockets reading adventure packs are also great for summer programs, after-school programs, and home-schoolers.
Interested in more reading adventures?
Browse our full library of Reading Adventure Packs. And for additional information about Reading Adventure Packs, you might want to read this article.