Welcome to webinar #1 in the 5-part webinar series on parent engagement, developed for the charter members of the Grade-Level Reading Communities Network, a key community-based effort of the Campaign for Grade-Level Reading . The Parent Engagement series is produced by Reading Rockets in partnership with the Campaign.
- Dr. Steve Constantino: Superintendent, Williamsburg-James City County Public Schools, VA
Engaging Every Family (PPT)
- Dr. Elena Lopez: Harvard Family Research Project
Engaging Families: A Systems Thinking Approach (PPT)
- Sandra Gutierrez: Families in Schools, Abriendo Puertas/Opening Doors
Abriendo Puertas/Opening Doors (PPT)
- 101 Ways to Create Real Family Engagement by Steven M. Constantino
- Engaging All Families: Creating a Positive School Culture by Putting Research Into Practice by Steven M. Constantino
Parent Resources and Tip Sheets
From Abriendo Puertas/Opening Doors
From Reading Rockets
- Reading Tips for Parents
Available in English, Spanish, Arabic, Chinese, Haitian Creole, Hmong, Korean, Navajo, Russian, Tagalog, Vietnamese.
- Simple Yet Powerful Things to Do While Reading Aloud
- Finding and Sharing Great Kids’ Books
- Talking Counts!
- Playing with Word Sounds: Stretch and Shorten
Articles and Research
From Reading Rockets
- Getting Parents Involved in Schools
- Student and Family Engagement: The Missing Piece of the Education Reform Puzzle
- Taking a Closer Look: My Child’s Academic Success
- Families and Schools: Articles, multimedia, research briefs, blogs, FAQs
From the Harvard Family Research Project
- Storybook Corner: Using Children’s Storybooks to Promote Family Engagement
- Re-thinking Family Engagement: Moving Beyond the Program Model Toward Systemic Engagement that Promotes Student Learning
- Family Literacy: A Review of Programs and Critical Perspectives
- Family Involvement Research Digests
Webcast: Making Parents Partners
In this webcast from Reading Rockets, Karen L. Mapp, Susan Hall, and Tom Bowman discuss the powerful effects of getting parents involved in their child’s school and academic development. Watch the intro clip with Dr. Mapp below or watch the full webcast.