Welcome to webinar #5 in the 5-part webinar series on parent engagement, developed for the 124 charter members of the Grade-Level Reading Communities Network, a key community-based effort of the Campaign for Grade-Level Reading . The Parent Engagement series is produced by Reading Rockets in partnership with the Campaign.
- Lisa Guernsey: Director of the Early Education Initiative at the New America Foundation
Pioneering Literacy in the Digital Wild West: Empowering Parents and Educators (PPT)
- Richard Byrne: Founder of Free Technology for Teachers
Technology to Engage Parents (PPT)
- Ana Blagojevic: Migrant Education Coordinator and Advocate at Mano en Mano | Hand in Hand
Comienza en Casa (PPT)
- Joanne Meier: Research Director, Reading Rockets
Reading Rockets Resources (PPT)
Research and Reports
Pioneering Literacy in the Digital Wild West: Empowering Parents and Educators (By Lisa Guernsey, Michael Levine, Cynthia Chiong and Maggie Severns, The Campaign for Grade-Level Reading, 2012)
Digital apps designed to teach young children to read are an increasingly large share of the market, but parents and educators have little to no information about whether and how they work. This report scans the market of digital products and shares promising practices and programs. For more information about the Pioneering Literacy paper and to find links to programs cited in the report, view this archived webinar .
Technology in Early Education: Building Platforms for Connections and Content that Strengthen Families and Promote Success in School (By Lisa Guernsey, 2012)
This report looks at trends in digital media use by young children, how to effectively use parents and librarians as partners in early learning, and recommendations for building integrated technology platforms for early education.
Kids & Family Reading Report: 4th Edition (By Scholastic, 2013)
This biannual report is a national survey sharing the views of both kids and parents on reading in the increasingly digital landscape and the influences that impact kids’ reading frequency and attitudes toward reading.
Strengthening school-to-home communication
- Edutopia’s Home-to-School Connections Guide
- How to engage parents online more effectively
- New ed-tech service aims to boost parent engagement
- Reading Tip of the Day web widget
Tip sheets, articles, and blogs from Reading Rockets
- Connected: Literacy for Generation Z
- Getting boys hooked on reading: How can digital media help?
- How e-book reading changes reading behavior
- 10 Ways to Use Technology to Build Vocabulary
- Taking Charge of TV