It’s Children’s Book Week , a longtime celebration of books and reading now celebrated in May. Even though it’s almost over, the festivities should continue beyond this week.
Also during Children’s Book Week, children’s book preferences are made known. This year’s Children’s Choice Winners were announced at a gala ceremony hosted by the National Ambassador for Young People’s Literature . Even Whoopi Goldberg and Al Roker , from The Today Show, were there!
Here are a few ideas to make every week Children’s Book Week in your home or classroom. Hope you’ll add to it!
- Visit the library every week; take out more than one book. Vote on your favorite of the week. (Kids’ votes should count double!)
- Make a new bookmark and put it in the favorite book.
- Ask the teacher to share one of your child’s favorite books with his/her class. Have other children bring in their favorite books.
- After a few weeks, take a class vote.
- Make a list of the children’s favorite books; copy and send home before the summer.
Any other ideas? Let’s add them as we count down to summer!