Skip to main content

Expert answer

There are several national organizations that may be able help you through this process and give local professional referrals. For instance, you can contact the International Dyslexia Association (opens in a new window), or the Learning Disabilities Association (opens in a new window) (LDA). In addition, you may wish to contact your local school district to learn of any free tutoring services offered, or a local university that may have a list of teachers who also tutor.

Wrightslaw Special Education Law and Advocacy has a useful nationwide search tool (opens in a new window). Use it to locate tutors and other professionals in your area. You can also contact the Parent Educational Advocacy Resource Center (opens in a new window) in your state for more options.

Also, LD OnLine’s Yellow Pages (opens in a new window) service and LD Resources (opens in a new window)section have a great deal of helpful information. Search by state (opens in a new window) for organizations, or find a parent advocacy group (opens in a new window) near you.

Lastly, you may be interested in Eye to Eye (opens in a new window), a national LD/ADHD movement that pairs students with LD and caring, knowledgeable mentors with similar experiences. The mentorship program provides a fun and safe environment for children to realize their potential as learners.

You may also want to ask the teachers and guidance counselor at your child’s school for suggestions for a tutor, since they will be familiar with his/her specific strengths and weaknesses. Local schools often know of great tutors located in the school’s neighborhood.

Remember to ask potential tutors about their experiences and what they specialize in before you choose a provider. You want to make sure that the person you choose will be a good match for your child.

Find more answers from this expert