Skip to main content

Expert answer

First, find out from a school administrator exactly what services the school system can offer and when they could provide them. Express your concerns and find out the procedures involved in going through a screening process for your child. If the timeframe or suggestions are unacceptable, there are independent educational testers that you can go to privately. The following articles might be helpful to you:

There are several national organizations that can help families through this process and give local professional referrals. They might also have information about financial assistance for testing. You might want to contact:

Wrightslaw Special Education Law and Advocacy has a useful nationwide search tool (opens in a new window). Use it to locate professionals in your area. You can also contact the Parent Educational Advocacy Resource Center (opens in a new window) in your state for more options.

In addition, you can look in your local phone book for “educational testing” or “psycho-educational testing” for someone in your area. 

Be sure to ask potential testers, tutors, and consultants about their experiences and specializations before choosing a provider. A full psycho-educational assessment provides information about the way a student learns and how to best meet that student’s needs.

Find more answers from this expert