Welcome to webinar #3 in the 5-part webinar series on parent engagement, developed for the charter members of the Grade-Level Reading Communities Network, a key community-based effort of the Campaign for Grade-Level Reading . The Parent Engagement series is produced by Reading Rockets in partnership with the Campaign.
- Rebecca Palacios, Ph.D.: Senior Curriculum Advisor for ABCmouse.com Early Learning Academy
Reaching Families of Second Language Learners (PPT)
- Judith Jerald: Early Childhood Advisor, Save the Children, U.S. Programs; former National Director of Head Start
Working with Parents of Second Language Learners (PPT)
- Amanda Wilkinson: Program Coordinator, Charlotte Y Readers: A Bright Spot Program for the Campaign for Grade Level Reading
Putting Success into Words (PPT)
- Joanne Meier: Research Director, Reading Rockets
Family Resources from Colorín Colorado (PPT)
- Reading Tips for Parents
Available in English, Spanish, Arabic, Chinese, Haitian Creole, Hmong, Korean, Navajo, Russian, Tagalog, Vietnamese.
- ELL Resources by Grade
- Free Guides and Toolkits for Parents, Teachers, and Administrators
- ELL Newsltters and News Headlines
PBS Show: Becoming Bilingual
Acclaimed actress Rita Moreno hosts Becoming Bilingual, a 30-minute PBS program that examines the challenges of teaching children to read in a new language. The show visits six cities across the country to learn about the different ways schools are working to create bilingual readers. Becoming Bilingual is the seventh episode of Reading Rockets’ award-winning series Launching Young Readers.