Reading Adventure Pack: Stars
Go on a "night sky" reading adventure! Teachers can support reading together at home with our reading adventure packs — designed to encourage hands-on fun and learning centered around paired fiction and nonfiction books. (Level: Third Grade)
Explore the stars!
The featured books are Her Seven Brothers by Paul Goble and Find the Constellations by H.A. Rey. Her Seven Brothers is a retelling of the Cheyenne legend about the creation of the Big Dipper. A young Indian girl who has a special gift for embroidery learns from the spirits that she must leave her home and search for a new one with seven brothers. Seven brothers welcome her, and her gift of beautiful clothes, but the Chief of the Buffalo Nation also wants a new sister. The girl and her seven brothers make a dramatic escape to the sky. In Find the Constellations, H.A. Rey, presents the stars and constellations in a straightforward and easy-to-understand format. There are also detailed sky views and simple illustrations that help readers turn stargazing into a wonderful game.
Get the books
The featured books were chosen for their quality and availability in most school and public libraries. However, if you would like to purchase the books, here are the links:
Her Seven Brothers by Paul Goble
Find the Constellations by H.A. Rey
What's in the reading adventure pack?
- Parent information sheet with an introductory note that teachers can personalize, instructions about how to use the packet, and tips for sharing fiction and nonfiction books with children
- Two books: one fiction and one nonfiction, selected by Reading Rockets for high quality and wide availability in school libraries
- Creativity Activity: a hands-on craft project
- Imagination Activity: encourages imaginative play, writing, or drawing
- Get Real Activity: focuses on real-world experiences for parent and child
- Bookmark: lists the featured titles and alternative titles
- Parent survey
While designed as a school-to-home project, our reading adventure packs are also great for summer programs, after-school programs, and home-schoolers.