Reading Adventure Pack: Rocks
Go on a "rocks" reading adventure! Teachers can support reading together at home with our reading adventure packs — designed to encourage hands-on fun and learning centered around paired fiction and nonfiction books. (Level: First or Second Grade)
The featured books are The Jade Stone, a Chinese folktale adapted by Caryn Yacowitz, and the nonfiction book Rocks in His Head, by Carol Otis Hurst. Rocks in His Head tells a real life story, about actual events and real people. It's about one man's fascination with rocks and how his lifelong interest in rocks made him a very happy man. The story is also a delightful introduction to looking closely at rocks, while it shows the positive, life-changing power of pursuing a personal interest. The Jade Stone shows the relationship a sculptor has with stone. It also shows the honorable commitment the artist has to his craft.
Get the books
The featured books were chosen for their quality and availability in most school and public libraries. However, if you would like to purchase the books, here are the links:
The Jade Stone by Caryn Yacowitz
Rocks in His Head by Carol Otis Hurst
What's in the reading adventure pack?
- Parent information sheet with an introductory note that teachers can personalize, instructions about how to use the packet, and tips for sharing fiction and nonfiction books with children
- Two books: one fiction and one nonfiction, selected by Reading Rockets for high quality and wide availability in school libraries
- Creativity Activity: a hands-on craft project
- Imagination Activity: encourages imaginative play, writing, or drawing
- Get Real Activity: focuses on real-world experiences for parent and child
- Bookmark: lists the featured titles and alternative titles
- Parent survey
While designed as a school-to-home project, reading adventure packs are also great for summer programs, after-school programs, and home-schoolers.