Reading Adventure Pack: Money
Go on a "money" reading adventure! Teachers can support reading together at home with our reading adventure packs — designed to encourage hands-on fun and learning centered around paired fiction and nonfiction books. (Level: Third Grade)
The featured books are A Chair for My Mother by Vera B. Williams and Money (Eyewitness Books) by Joe Cribb. A Chair for My Mother offers a touching lesson about the rewards of hard work, thrift, and savings. Rosa, her mother, and her grandmother lost all their possessions in a fire. While generous friends and family members help them begin to refurnish their apartment, they long for a comfortable chair. Together, they work and save until they have enough money to bring home the most beautiful chair in the world. In Money, detailed, full-color photographs help explain the history of money and how coins and paper money are made, a look at currency around the world, and tips on coin collecting.
Get the books
The featured books were chosen for their quality and availability in most school and public libraries. However, if you would like to purchase the books, here are the links:
A Chair for My Mother by Vera Williams
Money by Joe Cribb
What's in the reading adventure pack?
- Parent information sheet with an introductory note that teachers can personalize, instructions about how to use the packet, and tips for sharing fiction and nonfiction books with children
- Two books: one fiction and one nonfiction, selected by Reading Rockets for high quality and wide availability in school libraries
- Creativity Activity: a hands-on craft project
- Imagination Activity: encourages imaginative play, writing, or drawing
- Get Real Activity: focuses on real-world experiences for parent and child
- Bookmark: lists the featured titles and alternative titles
- Parent survey
While designed as a school-to-home project, reading adventure packs are also great for summer programs, after-school programs, and home-schoolers.
Interested in more reading adventures?
Browse our full library of reading adventure packs. And for additional information about reading adventure packs, you might want to read this article.
The Brownie Scouts of GSCNC Troop 6202 will begin working on their Money Manager badge beginning December 1, 2014. We will be incorporating the "Money" Reading Activity Pack in our session.