Reading Adventure Pack: Folktales
Go on a "folktales" reading adventure! Teachers can support reading together at home with our reading adventure packs — designed to encourage hands-on fun and learning centered around paired fiction and nonfiction books.
(Level: First grade)
The Folktales Adventure Pack pairs a folktale that explains a something about nature with a nonfiction book. The featured books are Anansi the Spider: A Tale from the Ashanti, by Gerald McDermott, and The Moon Book, by Gail Gibbons. The Anansi story tells how the spider's sons rescue him from danger; their reward ends up becoming the moon. The Moon Book describes the moon's movement, phases, exploration, and beliefs about it.
Get the books
The featured books were chosen for their quality and availability in most school and public libraries. However, if you would like to purchase the books, here are the links:
Anansi the Spider: A Tale from the Ashanti by Gerald McDermott
The Moon Book by Gail Gibbons
What's in the reading adventure pack?
- Parent information sheet with an introductory note that teachers can personalize, instructions about how to use the packet, and tips for sharing fiction and nonfiction books with children
- Two books: one fiction and one nonfiction, selected by Reading Rockets for high quality and wide availability in school libraries
- Creativity Activity: a hands-on craft project
- Imagination Activity: encourages imaginative play, writing, or drawing
- Get Real Activity: focuses on real-world experiences for parent and child
- Bookmark: lists the featured titles and alternative titles
- Parent survey
While designed as a school-to-home project, the Reading Rockets reading adventure packs are also great for summer programs, after-school programs, and home-schoolers.
Interested in more reading adventures?
Browse our full library of reading adventure packs. And for additional information about reading adventure packs, you might want to read this article.