Reading Adventure Pack: Dinosaurs
Go on a "dinosaur" reading adventure! Teachers can support reading together at home with our reading adventure packs — designed to encourage hands-on fun and learning centered around paired fiction and nonfiction books. (Level: First grade)
The featured books for the Dinosaurs Adventure Pack are Dinosaurs, by Gale Gibbons, and Danny and the Dinosaur, by Syd Hoff. During a visit to a museum, Danny encounters a dinosaur that turns out to be real and they leave the museum for a day of adventure in Danny and the Dinosaur. Gail Gibbons, a leading author in nonfiction for children, offers an excellent introduction to dinosaurs of many shapes and sizes in Dinosaurs.
Get the books
The featured books were chosen for their quality and availability in most school and public libraries. However, if you would like to purchase the books, here are the links:
Dinosaurs by Gail Gibbons
Danny and the Dinosaur by Syd Hoff
What's in the reading adventure pack?
- Parent information sheet with an introductory note that teachers can personalize, instructions about how to use the packet, and tips for sharing fiction and nonfiction books with children
- Two books: one fiction and one nonfiction, selected by Reading Rockets for high quality and wide availability in school libraries
- Creativity Activity: a hands-on craft project
- Imagination Activity: encourages imaginative play, writing, or drawing
- Get Real Activity: focuses on real-world experiences for parent and child
- Bookmark: lists the featured titles and alternative titles
- Parent survey
While designed as a school-to-home project, the Reading Rockets adventure packs are also great for summer programs, after-school programs, and home-schoolers.