Reading Adventure Pack: Heroes
Go on a heroes reading adventure! Teachers can support reading together at home with our reading adventure packs — designed to encourage hands-on fun and learning centered around paired fiction and nonfiction books. (Level: Second or Third Grade)
When packing for this reading adventure all about heroes, we suggest you include The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind by William Kamkwamba and Bryan Mealer and Tasty Baby Belly Buttons by Judy Sierra. In The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind, William figures out how to build a windmill and bring electricity to his village. Tasty Baby Belly Buttons is a traditional Japanese folktale featuring a girl born from a melon who rescues babies from the oni — monsters who steal babies to eat their belly buttons.
Get the books
The featured books were chosen for their quality and availability in most school and public libraries. However, if you would like to purchase the books, here are the links:
The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind
by William Kamkwamba and Bryan Mealer
Tasty Baby Belly Buttons
by Judy Sierra
What's in the reading adventure pack?
- Parent information sheet with an introductory note that teachers can personalize, instructions about how to use the packet, and tips for sharing fiction and nonfiction books with children
- Two books: one fiction and one nonfiction, selected by Reading Rockets for high quality and wide availability in school libraries
- Creativity Activity: a hands-on craft project
- Imagination Activity: encourages imaginative play, writing, or drawing
- Get Real Activity: focuses on real-world experiences for parent and child
- Bookmark: lists the featured titles and alternative titles
- Parent survey
While designed as a school-to-home project, the Reading Rockets reading adventure packs are also great for summer programs, after-school programs, and home-schoolers.