Reading Adventure Pack: Farms
Go on a "farm" reading adventure! Teachers can support reading together at home with our reading adventure packs — designed to encourage hands-on fun and learning centered around paired fiction and nonfiction books. (Level: Kindergarten)
Explore farms and farming!
The featured books for the Farms Adventure Pack are The Oxcart Man, by Donald Hall and illustrated by Barbara Cooney, and Farming, by Gail Gibbons. The Oxcart Man is the story of a self-sufficient farm of years past that takes readers through the rhythms of traditional life on a family farm. Farming explores farms, general farming practices, and the role the seasons and weather play in farming.
Get the books
The featured books were chosen for their quality and availability in most school and public libraries. However, if you would like to purchase the books, here are the links:The featured books were chosen for their quality and availability in most school and public libraries. However, if you would like to purchase the books, here are the links:
The Oxcart Man by Donald Hall
Farming by Gail Gibbons
What's in the reading adventure pack?
- Parent information sheet with an introductory note that teachers can personalize, instructions about how to use the packet, and tips for sharing fiction and nonfiction books with children
- Two books: one fiction and one nonfiction, selected by Reading Rockets for high quality and wide availability in school libraries
- Creativity Activity: a hands-on craft project
- Imagination Activity: encourages imaginative play, writing, or drawing
- Get Real Activity: focuses on real-world experiences for parent and child
- Bookmark: lists the featured titles and alternative titles
- Parent survey
While designed as a school-to-home project, reading adventure packs are also great for summer programs, after-school programs, and home-schoolers.
Interested in more reading adventures?
Browse our full library of Reading Adventure Packs. And for additional information about Reading Adventure Packs, you might want to read this article.
Thank you! These are wonderful!