Enormous amounts of reading and literacy research is available from the U.S. Department of Education, journals, associations, and other entities. The following are suggestions and links to help you find what you need.
Regional education labs
The U.S. Department of Education funds a system of ten organizations that provide technical assistance to the states in its region. Each regional laboratory's web site offers a wealth of information.
- REL Appalachia (Kentucky, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia) at The CNA Corporation
- REL Central (Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wyoming) at Mid-continent Regional Educational Laboratory (McREL)
- REL Mid-Atlantic (Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Washington D.C.) at Pennsylvania State University
- REL Midwest (Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio, Wisconsin) at Learning Point Associates
- REL Northeast & Islands (Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, Vermont, Virgin Islands) at Education Development Center
- REL Northwest (Alaska, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Washington) at Northwest Regional Educational Laboratory (NWREL)
- REL Pacific (American Samoa, Northern Mariana Islands, Micronesia, Guam, Hawaii, Marshall Islands, Palau) at Pacific Resources for Education and Learning (PREL)
- REL Southeast (Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina) at SERVE Center, University of North Carolina at Greensboro
- REL Southwest (Arkansas, Louisiana, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Texas) at Edvance Research, Inc.
- REL West (Arizona, California, Nevada, Utah) at WestEd
The following are journals that publish articles and research related to reading issues. The organization that publishes each journal is indicated in parentheses.
The following databases are rich sources of usually free reading research.
Other databases require university affiliation or allow individual access for a fee. These include:
The main PsycINFO database contains almost 2 million references to psychological literature from the 1800s-present, and includes journal articles, books, book chapters, technical reports, and dissertations.
This database provides citations and abstracts for education-related journals and magazine articles, and also searches journals from other disciplines.
Use this database to locate fulltext newspaper articles on your subject.
- Linguistics & Language Behavior Abstracts (CSA)
This database covers all aspects of the study of language including phonetics, phonology, morphology, syntax, and semantics. Complete coverage is also given to various fields of linguistics including descriptive, historical, comparative, theoretical, and geographical linguistics. (Dates covered: 1973 - present)
- Mental Measurements Yearbook
This database includes more than 2,200 commercially-available tests in categories such as personality, developmental, behavioral assessment, neuropsychological, achievement, intelligence and aptitude, educational, speech and hearing, and sensory motor.