Choose one student to take a fluency score.
- Sit and listen to the student read a passage from a book that is at their independent level.
- Take note of words read correctly and incorrectly.
- Find the words read per minute by taking the words read correctly (minus) the words read incorrectly.
- Determine what instruction should look like for this student.
- Write up your plan for this studentís growth in the area of fluency.
You were given your very own copy of our five-part video series, Reading Rockets: Launching Young Readers. I'd like for you to watch Program 3: "Fluent Reading".
"Fluent Reading" is the third video in our series, and it explores the development of fluency in young readers.