A Tale of Two Schools
Morgan Freeman narrates this documentary, the intimate story of a tumultuous year at two vulnerable schools.
Getting parents involved
When parents are involved with their child's school, student achievement improves.
Helping students become good readers
Seven key action steps on how principals can create a school framework for success.
On track for reading success
Watch this webcast on how assessment can be used to help students become strong readers.
A-Z: School-wide efforts
Browse all of our school-wide reform resources, including video, professional development webcasts, and FAQs.
School principals and reading achievement
"What you focus on is what will grow." — Joan Freck, School principal, Fairfax County Public Schools, Virginia
In the quote above, former principal Joan Freck, Ed.D., was explaining how principals get pulled every which way. But if you believe reading achievement is at the heart of student success, then focus like a laser on reading!
In that spirit, Reading Rockets has selected the following articles that are especially relevant to elementary school principals seeking to raise reading achievement.
- School Culture: "The Hidden Curriculum"
- Characteristics of Improved School Districts
- Role of Principal Leadership in Improving Student Achievement
- Supporting a School-Wide Reading Initiative with Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment
- What Principals Can Do to Help Students Become Good Readers
- Principal as Instructional Leader: Designing a Coaching Program That Fits
What it takes to teach reading
- The Challenges of Learning to Teach Reading
- The Six Ts of Effective Elementary Literacy Instruction
- Roles of the Reading Specialist
- The Process of Professional Development
- Professional Development for Reading
- Instructional Coaching
- What Does the Research Tell Us About Teacher Leadership?
- Avoiding a Rush to Judgment: Teacher Evaluation and Teacher Quality
Closing the achievement gap
- On Summer Loss
- Teaching All Students to Read: Practices from Reading First Schools with Strong Intervention Outcomes
- Lessons We Learned in Washington, D.C. Schools
Working with parents
The IEP team
Observe an IEP team at work in this clip from Empowering Parents, part of our PBS series, Launching Young Readers. Watch video clip >