Resources developed in partnership with: The American Library Association (ALA)
Asian Pacific American Heritage Month
From food to folktales, discover the rich culture, humor, and traditions of Japan, Korea, China, Hawaii, and more.
Start with a Book
Visit our new companion website, chockfull of books, hands-on activities, parent tips, and much more. 24 kid-friendly themes to explore!
Reading adventure packs: rocks, dinosaurs, music and more
Share these parent-child activity guides centered around paired fiction and nonfiction books.
Fresh content for your website!
Our widgets deliver fresh content to your library website every day. Choose from Book of the Day, Books & Authors, Daily Lit Quiz and more.
Our Top 12 resources for librarians
- More than 100 video interviews with award-winning authors and illustrators like Katherine Paterson, Jerry Pinkney, Walter Dean Myers, Deborah Heiligman, Linda Sue Park, and Mo Willems.
- Our author study toolkit, a roadmap for taking kids on a journey of discovery about a favorite author or illustrator.
- Our Daily Lit Quiz: play for fun or for a chance to win an Amazon gift card!
- Dozens of themed booklists, carefully chosen by Maria Salvadore, a 2010 Newbery committee member and our own children's literature expert. (And don't miss Maria's blog, Page by Page.)
- Our seasonal booklists, The Big Summer Read and the Holiday Gift Guide: wonderful fiction, nonfiction, and audiobooks selected for different age groups.
- Hundreds of research-based articles about supporting young readers (especially kids who struggle), motivating reluctant readers, how to do effective read alouds, and much more.
- The librarian toolkit (see below), developed in collaboration with ALSC and AASL. These multimedia resources make it easy for librarians to offer community forums and workshops for parents, teachers, and caregivers on how to support children's reading achievement.
- Reading tips for parents in 11 languages (infants to grade 3). The PDFs are ready to print and share with the families in your community.
- Our award-winning PBS series Launching Young Readers, available online to watch now or later on your iPod.
- Our themed reading adventure packs that encourage hands-on fun centered around paired fiction and nonfiction.
- Colorful download-and-print door hangers that proudly proclaim "Warning: reading rocket in orbit!" (in English and Spanish).
- A lively literacy calendar, with resources for events like Read Across America, D.E.A.R., National Poetry Month, and El día de los niños/El día de los libros.
The Common Core for librarians
Toolkit for librarians
This free toolkit, developed by Reading Rockets and the Association for Library Services to Children and the Association of School Librarians of the American Library Association, contains resources to make it easy for librarians to offer community forums, discussions, and workshops for parents, teachers, and caregivers on how to support children's reading achievement.
Included in the kit are video modules that show what works in teaching and encouraging kids to become readers. This toolkit can also be purchased from the Reading Rockets store.
Toolkit video modules
Video Modules 1-4: In the Classroom
Video Module 5: A Writer's Secret
This module contains five video clips, each featuring a different children's author.
Recommended Use: These video clips can be used for in-service training or other workshops for older children, teachers, caregivers, parents, and other adults interested in children's literature.
- Keep 'em laughing all summer long >
- Writing that lasts for more than a day >
- Talking with kids about cancer >
- Sharpening your skills this summer and organizing them, too! >
- How books can open minds >
- Children and Digital Media: Rethinking Parent Roles >
- Digital natives: getting connected with the Common Core >
A welcoming library
In this segment from Becoming Bilingual, part of our PBS Launching Young Readers series, join librarian Laura Kleinmann and students from the Oyster Bilingual School library. Watch video clip >
Reading Rockets Blogs
Page by Page
Maria, our children's literature expert, explores the best ways to use kids' books at home and inside the classroom.
Daily Lit Quiz
Every day you get an answer right, you'll be entered into our monthly drawing for a $20 gift certificate to Amazon.com!