Managing a class of students is one of the biggest challenges facing teachers. The resources below offer suggestions for effective classroom management, including tips for creating classroom systems, organizing your reading program, ideas for room arrangements, and activities for students who finish their work early.
American Federation of Teachers
Our shows on PBS
In our blogs
Sound It Out
- How disruptive is a disruptive child?
- First impressions with classroom doors
- My teacher gives more homework
- Text sets: One theme, several books
- Comprehension posters for your classroom
The Common Core Classroom
- What Are Classrooms Like for Students with Learning Disabilities?
- Creating a Classroom Library
- Literacy Centers
- Using Peer Tutoring to Facilitate Access
- Literacy-Rich Environments
Professional development webcasts
- Establishing an Effective Reading Program
- Reading to Learn: ELL in Grades 4-6
- Making Reading Count
- Differentiated Reading Instruction
- Literacy Instruction in Nine First-Grade Classrooms: Teacher Characteristics and Student Achievement
- Effective Schools and Accomplished Teachers: Lessons About Primary-Grade Reading Instruction in Low-Income Schools
- Teaching Reading Is Rocket Science: What Expert Teachers of Reading Should Know and Be Able to Do