Afterschool programs can offer kids opportunities to develop their literacy interest and skills in a more relaxed environment. Learn the qualities of a good afterschool program by checking the articles below. Our Community Programs section has ideas on how organizations can support reading and literacy. Our Tutoring and Volunteering section has information for those interested in giving their time.
Center for Summer Learning at Johns Hopkins University
Professional development webcasts
Visit our new summer website, Start with a Book. It's chock-full of books, hands-on activities, parent tips, and much more for a season of learning. 24 kid-friendly themes to explore — from bugs to weather!
In our blogs
Sound It Out
Page by Page
- Engaging Family and Community in Afterschool and Summer Programs
- Afterschool Achievement: Strengthening Literacy and Other Skills
- Effective Out-of-School Time Reading Programs
- Time Well Spent: Eight Powerful Practices of Successful, Expanded-Time Schools
- Structuring Out-of-School Time to Improve Academic Achievement
- Tracking an Emerging Movement: A Report on Expanded-Time Schools in America
- Getting Reading Right from the Start: Effective Early Literacy Interventions