Reading Adventure Pack: Music
Go on a "musical" reading adventure! Teachers can support reading together at home with our reading adventure packs — designed to encourage hands-on fun and learning centered around paired fiction and nonfiction books.
The featured books for the Music Adventure Pack are Mama Don't Allow, by Thacher Hurd, and A Day in the Life of a Musician, by Linda Hayward. In Mama Don't Allow, Miles forms a Swamp Band with his friends and they almost become dinner when they play for the Alligator Ball. A Day in the Life of a Musician is a DK Reader that follows a violinist through her day. Photos show her playing her violin in several different situations.
Get the books
The featured books were chosen for their quality and availability in most school and public libraries. However, if you would like to purchase the books, here are the links:
Mama Don't Allow by Thacher Hurd
A Day in the Life of a Musician by Linda Hayward
What's in the reading adventure pack?
- Parent information sheet with an introductory note that teachers can personalize, instructions about how to use the packet, and tips for sharing fiction and nonfiction books with children
- Two books: one fiction and one nonfiction, selected by Reading Rockets for high quality and wide availability in school libraries
- Creativity Activity: a hands-on craft project
- Imagination Activity: encourages imaginative play, writing, or drawing
- Get Real Activity: focuses on real-world experiences for parent and child
- Bookmark: lists the featured titles and alternative titles
- Parent survey
While designed as a school-to-home project, the Reading Rockets adventure packs are also great for summer programs, after-school programs, and home-schoolers.