Reading Adventure Pack: Environment
Go on a "green" reading adventure! Teachers can support reading together at home with our reading adventure packs — designed to encourage hands-on fun and learning centered around paired fiction and nonfiction books.
(Level: First grade)
Explore the environment!
The featured books for the Environment Adventure Pack are The Great Kapok Tree: A Tale of the Amazon Rain Forest, by Lynne Cherry, and I See a Kookaburra! Discovering Animal Habitats Around the World, by Steve Jenkins and Robin Page. The Great Kapok Tree tells the story of the rainforest animals who persuade a man not to cut down their tree by whispering in his ear while he sleeps. I See a Kookaburra! explores animals and habitats from around the world with cut-paper illustrations.
Get the books
The featured books were chosen for their quality and availability in most school and public libraries. However, if you would like to purchase the books, here are the links:
The Great Kapok Tree: A Tale of the Amazon Rain Forest by Lynne Cherry
I See a Kookaburra!: Discovering Animal Habitats Around the World by Steve Jenkins
What's in the reading adventure pack?
- Parent information sheet with an introductory note that teachers can personalize, instructions about how to use the packet, and tips for sharing fiction and nonfiction books with children
- Two books: one fiction and one nonfiction, selected by Reading Rockets for high quality and wide availability in school libraries
- Creativity Activity: a hands-on craft project
- Imagination Activity: encourages imaginative play, writing, or drawing
- Get Real Activity: focuses on real-world experiences for parent and child
- Bookmark: lists the featured titles and alternative titles
- Parent survey
While designed as a school-to-home project, the Reading Rockets adventure packs are also great for summer programs, after-school programs, and home-schoolers.