Reading Adventure Pack: Animals
Go on an "animal" reading adventure! Teachers can support reading together at home with our reading adventure packs — designed to encourage hands-on fun and learning centered around paired fiction and nonfiction books.
The featured books for the Animals Adventure Pack are Blueberries for Sal, by Robert McCloskey, and A Bed for the Winter, by Karen Wallace. Blueberries for Sal is a classic children's story about a human child and her mother and a bear child and his mother looking for berries. A Bed for the Winter is a DK Reader that explores homes different animals find for winter.
Get the books
The featured books were chosen for their quality and availability in most school and public libraries. However, if you would like to purchase the books, here are the links:
Blueberries for Sal by Robert McCloskey
A Bed for the Winter by Karen Wallace
What's in the reading adventure pack?
- Parent information sheet with an introductory note that teachers can personalize, instructions about how to use the packet, and tips for sharing fiction and nonfiction books with children
- Two books: one fiction and one nonfiction, selected by Reading Rockets for high quality and wide availability in school libraries
- Creativity Activity: a hands-on craft project
- Imagination Activity: encourages imaginative play, writing, or drawing
- Get Real Activity: focuses on real-world experiences for parent and child
- Bookmark: lists the featured titles and alternative titles
- Parent survey
While designed as a school-to-home project, the Reading Rockets reading adventure packs are also great for summer programs, after-school programs, and home-schoolers.