Reading Adventure Pack: Rivers
Go on a "river" reading adventure! Teachers can support reading together at home with our reading adventure packs — designed to encourage hands-on fun and learning centered around paired fiction and nonfiction books. (Level: Third Grade)
The featured books are Paddle-to-the-Sea by Holling Clancy Holling and The Big Rivers: the Missouri, the Mississippi, and the Ohio by Bruce Hiscock, Paddle-to-the-Sea, which received a Caldecott Honor in 1942, tells the exciting story of the water journey of a wooden carving created and named Paddle-to-the-Sea by a young Indian boy. The wooden figure has many adventures and makes many friends who help him eventually live up to his name. The Big Rivers: the Missouri, the Mississippi, and the Ohio explores three big U.S. rivers, with a particular focus on the major flooding of these rivers in 1993. The book also covers drainage basins, erosion issues, and the water cycle.
Download the PDF >
The featured books were chosen for their quality and availability in most school and public libraries. However, if you would like to purchase the books, here are the links:
Paddle-to-the-Sea by Holling Clancy Holling
The Big Rivers: the Missouri, the Mississippi, and the Ohio by Bruce Hiscock
What's in the reading adventure pack?
- Parent information sheet with an introductory note that teachers can personalize, instructions about how to use the packet, and tips for sharing fiction and nonfiction books with children
- Two books: one fiction and one nonfiction, selected by Reading Rockets for high quality and wide availability in school libraries
- Creativity Activity: a hands-on craft project
- Imagination Activity: encourages imaginative play, writing, or drawing
- Get Real Activity: focuses on real-world experiences for parent and child
- Bookmark: lists the featured titles and alternative titles
- Parent survey
While designed as a school-to-home project, reading adventure packs are also great for summer programs, after-school programs, and home-schoolers.
Interested in more reading adventures?