Reading Adventure Pack: Rocks
Go on a "rocks" reading adventure! Teachers can support reading together at home with our reading adventure packs — designed to encourage hands-on fun and learning centered around paired fiction and nonfiction books. (Level: First or Second Grade)
The featured books are The Jade Stone, a Chinese folktale adapted by Caryn Yacowitz, and the nonfiction book Rocks in His Head, by Carol Otis Hurst. Rocks in His Head tells a real life story, about actual events and real people. It's about one man's fascination with rocks and how his lifelong interest in rocks made him a very happy man. The story is also a delightful introduction to looking closely at rocks, while it shows the positive, life-changing power of pursuing a personal interest. The Jade Stone shows the relationship a sculptor has with stone. It also shows the honorable commitment the artist has to his craft.
Download the PDF >
The featured books were chosen for their quality and availability in most school and public libraries. However, if you would like to purchase the books, here are the links:
The Jade Stone by Caryn Yacowitz
Rocks in His Head by Carol Otis Hurst
What's in the reading adventure pack?
- Parent information sheet with an introductory note that teachers can personalize, instructions about how to use the packet, and tips for sharing fiction and nonfiction books with children
- Two books: one fiction and one nonfiction, selected by Reading Rockets for high quality and wide availability in school libraries
- Creativity Activity: a hands-on craft project
- Imagination Activity: encourages imaginative play, writing, or drawing
- Get Real Activity: focuses on real-world experiences for parent and child
- Bookmark: lists the featured titles and alternative titles
- Parent survey
While designed as a school-to-home project, reading adventure packs are also great for summer programs, after-school programs, and home-schoolers.