Reading Adventure Packs: The Lorax
Go on a "Lorax" reading adventure! Teachers can support reading together at home with our reading adventure packs — designed to encourage hands-on fun and learning centered around paired fiction and nonfiction books. (Level: First Grade)
The featured books for the The Lorax Reading Adventure Pack are The Lorax, written by Dr. Seuss, and Tell Me, Tree, by Gail Gibbons. The Lorax, The Lorax tells the story of how the greedy Oncle-ler hacks down Truffula trees in order to make Thneeds, a rather frivolous item that he believes everyone needs. The Lorax disagrees and tries to reason with the Once-ler to get him to see the consequences of his actions on the environment, but is ignored and the Lorax himself must flee when all is destroyed. In Tell Me, Tree, we learn how to identify different kinds of trees as well as the parts of a tree, inside and out. The book also discusses the important roles trees play in our lives.
Download the PDF >
The featured books were chosen for their quality and availability in most school and public libraries. However, if you would like to purchase the books, here are the links:
The Lorax, written by Dr. Seuss
Tell Me, Tree, by Gail Gibbons
What's in the reading adventure pack?
- Parent information sheet with an introductory note that teachers can personalize, instructions about how to use the packet, and tips for sharing fiction and nonfiction books with children
- Two books: one fiction and one nonfiction, selected by Reading Rockets for high quality and wide availability in school libraries
- Creativity Activity: a hands-on craft project
- Imagination Activity: encourages imaginative play, writing, or drawing
- Get Real Activity: focuses on real-world experiences for parent and child
- Bookmark: lists the featured titles and alternative titles
- Parent survey
While designed as a school-to-home project, reading adventure packs are also great for summer programs, after-school programs, and home-schoolers.