Reading Adventure Pack: Environment
Go on a "green" reading adventure! Teachers can support reading together at home with our reading adventure packs — designed to encourage hands-on fun and learning centered around paired fiction and nonfiction books.
(Level: First grade)
Explore the environment!
The featured books for the Environment Adventure Pack are The Great Kapok Tree: A Tale of the Amazon Rain Forest, by Lynne Cherry, and I See a Kookaburra! Discovering Animal Habitats Around the World, by Steve Jenkins and Robin Page. The Great Kapok Tree tells the story of the rainforest animals who persuade a man not to cut down their tree by whispering in his ear while he sleeps. I See a Kookaburra! explores animals and habitats from around the world with cut-paper illustrations.
Download the PDF >
The featured books were chosen for their quality and availability in most school and public libraries. However, if you would like to purchase the books, here are the links:
The Great Kapok Tree: A Tale of the Amazon Rain Forest by Lynne Cherry
I See a Kookaburra!: Discovering Animal Habitats Around the World by Steve Jenkins
What's in the reading adventure pack?
- Parent information sheet with an introductory note that teachers can personalize, instructions about how to use the packet, and tips for sharing fiction and nonfiction books with children
- Two books: one fiction and one nonfiction, selected by Reading Rockets for high quality and wide availability in school libraries
- Creativity Activity: a hands-on craft project
- Imagination Activity: encourages imaginative play, writing, or drawing
- Get Real Activity: focuses on real-world experiences for parent and child
- Bookmark: lists the featured titles and alternative titles
- Parent survey
While designed as a school-to-home project, the Reading Rockets adventure packs are also great for summer programs, after-school programs, and home-schoolers.