Reading Adventure Pack: Time
Go on a "time-ly" reading adventure! Teachers can support reading together at home with our reading adventure packs — designed to encourage hands-on fun and learning centered around paired fiction and nonfiction books.
(Level: First grade)
The featured books for the Time Adventure Pack are The Very Grouchy Ladybug, by Eric Carle, and Telling Time: How to Tell Time on Digital and Analog Clocks!, by Jules Older, illustrated by Megan Halsey. The Very Grouchy Ladybug follows a cranky bug through the hours of the day, as she argues with many animals. Classic Carle illustrations include beautiful animals, a clock, and the sun moving across the sky. Telling Time provides a fun explanation of time concepts and how to read clocks.
Download the PDF >
The featured books were chosen for their quality and availability in most school and public libraries. However, if you would like to purchase the books, here are the links:
The Very Grouchy Ladybug by Eric Carle
Telling Time: How to Tell Time on Digital and Analog Clocks!
by Jules Older
What's in the reading adventure pack?
- Parent information sheet with an introductory note that teachers can personalize, instructions about how to use the packet, and tips for sharing fiction and nonfiction books with children
- Two books: one fiction and one nonfiction, selected by Reading Rockets for high quality and wide availability in school libraries
- Creativity Activity: a hands-on craft project
- Imagination Activity: encourages imaginative play, writing, or drawing
- Get Real Activity: focuses on real-world experiences for parent and child
- Bookmark: lists the featured titles and alternative titles
- Parent survey
While designed as a school-to-home project, the Reading Rockets adventure packs are also great for summer programs, after-school programs, and home-schoolers.