Reading Adventure Pack: Music
Go on a "musical" reading adventure! Teachers can support reading together at home with our reading adventure packs — designed to encourage hands-on fun and learning centered around paired fiction and nonfiction books.
The featured books for the Music Adventure Pack are Mama Don't Allow, by Thacher Hurd, and A Day in the Life of a Musician, by Linda Hayward. In Mama Don't Allow, Miles forms a Swamp Band with his friends and they almost become dinner when they play for the Alligator Ball. A Day in the Life of a Musician is a DK Reader that follows a violinist through her day. Photos show her playing her violin in several different situations.
Download the PDF >
The featured books were chosen for their quality and availability in most school and public libraries. However, if you would like to purchase the books, here are the links:
Mama Don't Allow by Thacher Hurd
A Day in the Life of a Musician by Linda Hayward
What's in the reading adventure pack?
- Parent information sheet with an introductory note that teachers can personalize, instructions about how to use the packet, and tips for sharing fiction and nonfiction books with children
- Two books: one fiction and one nonfiction, selected by Reading Rockets for high quality and wide availability in school libraries
- Creativity Activity: a hands-on craft project
- Imagination Activity: encourages imaginative play, writing, or drawing
- Get Real Activity: focuses on real-world experiences for parent and child
- Bookmark: lists the featured titles and alternative titles
- Parent survey
While designed as a school-to-home project, the Reading Rockets adventure packs are also great for summer programs, after-school programs, and home-schoolers.